Re: 97/98 VTR Suggestions (long)

To: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Subject: Re: 97/98 VTR Suggestions (long)
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 14:32:07 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 wrote:

> Concerned VTR Members,
>     Let me preface this with the RRTC did their best and as always hindsight
> is 20-20. Also this is not meant to berate or not recognize all the hard
> work RRTC did to put on the 1997 event.
>
>      Ft. Worth was the first VTR Nationals I have attended. I have been to
> several regional events around the country and really did not see much of a
> difference with the exception of a lot more trailers and fewer race cars.
> Attendance seemed to be the same. I had hoped to see 200-300 cars. I race
> sailboats around the country on the national level and have seen the same
> decline in participation over the years as the cost of campaigning has gone
> up. The best and most competitive events have been when the entries were
> reasonable and housing was cheap.
>      While you don't want to make a club lose money, hosting this event
> should not be seen as a cash cow. Run some numbers with previous clubs to
> help getting your cost in line. HCTC did this as an attempt to stop the
> escalating prices for regional events and were successful in turning the
> overall cost down at the Georgetown, TX event.. RRTC chose to do the event
> on their own with out any help for the other Texas clubs. I am not sure of
> the politics but for some reason there was not any participation from the
> San Antonio, TX. club.  In the future I would recommend the host club
> tapping into the resources offered by other clubs in the area.
>
> Tracks Increase Participation.
>       As has already been mentioned by others, being near a track would
> increase participation.
> 1. All the racers would be drooling at all the at track time they would get.
>
> 2. The true polishers will jump at the chance to drive around a "real"
> racetrack in the parade laps so they can brag to their friends " Oh yes I
> drove it at ______ (fill in)".
> 3. The drivers would be there and do what they do best, drive!
>         When attending a SE regional at Sebring there was a lot more
>camaraderie
> which I attribute partially to having such historic track involved in the
> event. The cost of the track was paid for by the users and there was no
> problem getting enough participants to commit. The rest was being in a small
> place keeping all the people together.
>
> Rethink the venue.
>         Stay away from large metropolitan areas for the obvious reasons.
> 1. Increase the overall cost to those participating.
> 2. Keeps entrants too dispersed with events that are spread all over the
> area.
> 3. Placing cars at risk by putting them in rush hour traffic to get to
> events.
>
>         There are plenty of small town (like Grandbury for instance) that
>would be
> a better place for a large group of enthusiast to congregate for a few days.
> A recent example is the BMW motorcycle convention held in Fredrickburg,
> [...]

You took the words right out of my mouth.  Actually I don't think I could have
said it
as well but I agree with everything said and I like the 100 mi part on
trailered cars as
I will trailer mine (non polisher concourse entry) to some events.  The driving
events
are important to me although I only participated in two due to lack of a
partener.
I also wondered why there isn't a closer relationship with the SOL group as
mentioned
even though it's not a formal group. I think the involvement of all
organizations or clubs in a near proximity to a event should be encouraged. I
also have
noticed that there are links to SOL internet pages on the VTR pages but I don't
believe
that there is any actual mention of SOL. Again I believe that we should take
the
opportunity to interface with as many Triumph promoters/organizations as
possible.  I'm
new to the scene and Ft. Worth was my first event so I don't have anything to
compare it
with but I did enjoy it.  Hope to see all the new friends again that I met at
FT. Worth.

Joe Worsley
80 TR8
72 TR6(sleeping until restoration)