Re: The TR4 ... owner¹s report card?

To: Martin_A._Secrest@neb.voa.gov, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: The TR4 ... owner¹s report card?
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 18:27:14 -0400 (EDT)

> A line of Triumph cars that I know almost nothing about is the TR4 (TR4A?)
>
>  I was wondering if one of our owner-listers might take a moment to give
out
> a little information on the car ... i.e., stuff such as years/numbers made,

> common colors, engine size, mods and parts availability, particular
strengths
> or liabilities, etc.
>
>  And of course, the BIG question -- what¹s it like to drive (I think I know

> THAT answer) ...

   First -- an apology
Martin, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.  I've been busy as
the devil lately and wanted to do this justice.  The TR4 drives WELL!

  Second  -- TR4s (see also www.vtr.org - then click the TR4 section)

A) Commission numbers ran from CT1(Aug1961) to CT 40304(Jan1965)
B) Engine - 4 cylinder "wet -liner", 2138cc, 105hp, 128lbft torque
C) Speed - 0-60mph/10.1sec,  Max.speed 104mph, standing qtr 17.8sec (77.2mph)
D) Gearbox - all synchro 4 speed with optional Laycock overdrive
E) Frame - wider than the TR3 (for a 4ft 1in front track with rack and
   pinion steering, and a wider rear axle beam)
F) Body - Michelotti styled, built in Liverpool (rather than Birmingham);
this body was    carried through the TR4A, TR5, and TR250 (with relatively
minor decorative changes) and even through the TR6 (many interior parts are
interchangeable).
G) Brakes - disc front, drum rear
H)  Tyres (tires) - 165/15 Dunlop (optional Michelin and maybe others - same
size).

That's it in a nutshell.  The web page ahas much more. I am working on
getting the VTR webpage TR4 section filled.
Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner/daily driver)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant