Re: Speedo cable installation

To: gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu
Subject: Re: Speedo cable installation
From: Bill Wood <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 11:21:47 -0700
Cc: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 12:55:14 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Jason Clark <gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>
> To: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
> cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Speedo cable installation
>
> Anyone have any pointers for installing a new speedo cable on my TR8?
> Do I have to drop the trans to do it properly?  I tried doing it this
> weekend and still have to use my tach to judge my speed.
>
> Procedure I used: Remove old cable from back of speedo.  Remove clip
> holding half of old cable to trans.  Remove cable from trans.  Put new
> cable on trans & clip in place.  Attach new cable to back of speedo.
>
> I noticed the wire in it seems a little short for the external
> cable...is there something internal to the trans that holds the wire tight at
>that end that I should be looking for?  Help!  I have til the end of the month
>to pass inspections :)
>
> -jason
>
> Jason Clark
> gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu
> 80 TR7 30th Anniversary Edition DHC
> 80 TR8 DHC
>
> Jason

I too had a problem geting my speedometer to work several years ago.  It
drove me crazy!  I installed a new cable but the speedometer still
didn't work.  I verified the inner cable was spinning by jacking up the
rear wheels, starting the car and putting it in gear and then
disconnecting
the the cable from the service counter.  Sure enough the inner cable was
spinning.  If I mated it back up to the service counter, it stopped
working.

It took me two weeks to figure it out.  This is what was happening.  The
end of the inner cable that is driven by the speedometer gear in the
transmission is squared-off and fits into the squared-off end of the
speedometer driven gear.  On the cable the squared-off portion is very
short--maybe an 1" to 1 1/2" at most.  The pressure exterted on the
inner cable by mating it with the service counter was pushing this
squared off portion of the cable past the squared off portion of the
driven gear and into its round, hollow body.  Thus the cable wasn't
being turned because
it wasn't being engaged.  If I removed the cable from the service
counter this relieved the pressure just enough to allow the squared of
portions of both the cable and gear to mesh, turning the cable.

The fix?  Easy.  Removed inner cable and used a hammer on the anvil
portion of my vise to flatten/square up the end of the cable that is
engaged by the speedometer driven gear.  Did it for about 2 1/2", enough
to make sure that no matter how far the cable might get pushed into the
shaft of the driven gear a portion would always be engaged by the
squared off end of the driven gear.

Hope this helps.

Bill Wood
1973 TR6