SB42 Status/Review

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SB42 Status/Review
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 16:08:48 -0700
I just finished talking to a member of Senator Kopp?s staff on the Senate
Transportation Committee.   He was able to provide more background into the
Appropriations Committee vote and the arguments presented before the
committee vote.

As mentioned in a previous listing, the vote was not on SB42?s merit but
rather a strictly procedural vote.   In both houses, when any bill costs
the state money or reduces revenues (within certain thresholds), it
automatically goes on the Suspense File.  The committee can vote to
override it?s own rules.  This is what the Assembly vote was about.  It is
at the discretion of the Chair to recommend to override or not.  (The
Senate Appropriations Committee voted to override the rule)  The vote was 8
- 8 , 3 less than needed to override the rules.  This type of vote is
generally seen as a ?vote of confidence? in the Chair.  No surprise that
the vote was split along party lines;  2 Democratic assemblymen, who voted
for SB42 when it was in the Transportation Committee voted in favor of the
Chair?s recommendation.  Since the vote was NOT on SB42?s merit, there is a
good chance it will pass if we can convince the Committee to bring it back
off of Suspense.

The main argument against SB42 was the loss of revenues - to the government
and consequently to the operational budget of the agency, i.e., DMV.
Senator Kopp counters, correctly I might add, that the role of government
is not to keep ifs coffers full just to keep the agency/bureaucracy going.

His staff acknowledges that there has been talk of paying the $8.00 fee
anyway.  This was discussed before the committee hearing.  Senator Kopp
prefers not to give in to this type of ?extortion? by the government.   I?m
sure all of us would gladly pay the money, if it meant we could forget
about smogging our LBCs.  But for now, they don?t want to play this card.
The emphasis is on fiscal responsibility and the proper role of government.

Also missing from the financial analysis was the off-setting cost savings
of reduced work load by the DMV (no need to process those 400,000 cars),
and the potential increase in revenues generated by the licensing of all
those old cars parked out there in No-Op status or others just sitting
around who were considered unrestorable because of trying to pass the smog
check.

The Suspense File comes up for review in late August, so there is plenty of
time to put even more pressure on the Appropriations Committee.  The main
focus should be the Chair, Carole Migden.  (PO Box 942849, Sacramento, CA
94249-0001, (916) 445-8077 or 1388 Sutter Street, Suite 710, San Francisco,
CA 94104, (415) 673-5560) or e-mail: carole.migden@assembly.ca.gov)  Any
correspondence to her office goes on the official record.  (This is what
they use to determine what is the public support)  But the other committee
members should be contacted as well.  (See previous listing by Shane Ingate
on Committee members)

I can only suggest when corresponding with the Appropriations Committee
members, don't forget to stress that fees are not there just to fund the
agency, the possible loss of fees anyway if our LBCs fail smog and we no
longer drive them, the potential increase in funds or any other ideas you
can come up with that will reduce their concern over loss of funds.

Keep up the good fight.  We come too far to let this opportunity slip
through our hands.

David J. Stauffacher
San Diego Automotive Museum Car Club Council
1970 TR6 CP51649
    \   I  N  J  E  C  T  I  O  N   /