RE: Crankcase Breather mystery

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Crankcase Breather mystery
From: "Childs, David" <dchilds@lawson.epri.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:47:32 -0400
Here is my 2 cents.
This was an uneducated approach to eliminating emissions.  My main
reason for emanating them was I did not wish to understand them!!!
First I pulled out the charcoal canisters and plugged anything that
was coming off the carb.  Now I was left with a hose going from
the valve cover to the carb.  So I tried venting the valve cover to
the air and plugging the vacuum pipe in the carb.  Results were I was
blowing oil out the dip stick and oil cap but not the vent to the air.
So then I put an arbitrary off the shelf PCV valve in between the valve
cover and the carb.  Results were lots of white smoke at about 3500
RPMs.  In adding to the smoke, I was blowing oil all over the inside
of the engine.   So now I am back to a simple hose that goes from
the valve cover to the carb.  Just like what was there.  Overall, for
whatever reason, the best performance came from the vent that went
to the air.  I hope that someone can befit from my blunders.
Best of luck to you on this one.
Dave C
79 Spit
75 Spit (parts)