Re: TR3 - inner and outer sills.

To: Angelo Graham <a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: TR3 - inner and outer sills.
From: George Richardson <gprtech@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 20:00:48 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Angelo Graham wrote:

> Listers:
>
> Looking for the collective wisdom of the TR3 owners who may have gone this
> route before, regarding the inner & outer sills and floor mounting.  In my
> case the PO had carried out some repairs and my car has really good outer
> sills.  The inner sills are another matter; lots of metal there, but lots
> of rust as well.  My questions:
> 1.  Is it possible to replace the inner sills and leave the outer sills
> (rocker panels) in place or to salvage these?
>
> 2.  What does the outer edge of the floor fasten (weld) to - the inner side
> of the inner sill?
>
> 3.  The joint at the top of the rocker panels, the verticle edge dropping
> to the floor - which panels meet here?  Is it formed by the top of the
> inner sill and the outer sill welded together?
>
> 4.  Should I just bite the bullet and cut everything out - sills, floors,
> etc and start all over?
>
> In my case, most of the panels, including the floors look repairable, no
> significant rust, except for the inner sills.  Would be nice to be able to
> salvage some of them. Doing my own MIG welding and panel fitting.
>
>  Many thanks in advance for any insight into this.
>
> Angelo Graham
> 1959 TR3A
> Waterloo, Ont. Canada

Angelo, having already done the complete car myself, maybe I can help
out.

The outer sills are welded to the inner sills at the top & bottom, and
to the front and rear door posts. The inner sills are welded to the
floor pans (on the inside), the front & rear door posts, the front
bulkhead and the rear quarterpanel (dogleg panel).

You must cut off the outer sill to get at the inner one, and it's quite
likely that you'll need a new one of each. You might be able to cut the
inner sill free of the rest of the car with the body removed & upside
down, but you wouldn't be able to line up the new parts.

Best bet is to try to cut the outer sills free as carefully as possible.
If you can get them off without damage, you won't have to buy new ones.

However, from what I saw of how they were fstened on my car, I would
just go the all new route & save myself some time & trouble.

George Richardson
'57 TR3, TS15559L
(still in the works)