Re[2]: BAAAAD GAAAAS

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (Return requested), van@nucmar.physics.fsu.edu (Return requested)
Subject: Re[2]: BAAAAD GAAAAS
From: Peter Mchugh <Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov>
Date: 12 Aug 1997 18:26:02 -0400
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; 0211E33F0E2FA014-MTAdot1]
X400-originator: Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov
X400-received: by mta MTAdot1 in /c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; converted ( IA5-Text); Relayed; 12 Aug 1997 18:26:02 -0400
X400-received: by /c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; converted ( IA5-Text); Relayed; 12 Aug 1997 18:26:02 -0400
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0211E33F0E2FA014*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=gov+dot/o=faa/s=Mchugh/g=Peter/@MHS>

     Several years ago my offcie did an indepth analysis of the use of dyes
     in aviation fuels...as a result of concern about dyes leaching into
     aviation gasoline and jet fuels.  The following is extracted from that
     work...

     Both the IRS and EPA require use of dyes in fuels...today they require
     that all untaxed (highway use taxes) diesel/kerosene (IRS) and fuels
     which do not meet emissions requirements (EPA) be injected with red
     dye...untaxed fuels are used on farms and as home heating oil...and
     these fuels work fine in commercial trucks on the highways...and cost
     much less than half of the taxed fuel.  A huge mafia (believe it or
     not?) organization is involved in taking advantage of this gap between
     the taxed and untaxed price...and the IRS and lawenforcement agencies
     have exacted huge penalties for violations....the dye in untaxed fules
     helps to catch the scoflaws, and returns significant millions of
     dollars to the treasury.

     For the EPA, the dye permits enforcement of environmental regulations
     since some high emissions fules must continue to be available for
     selected purposes.  There are few exceptions to the legislation that
     is the basis for the dye use, one of which is for aviation fuels.

     Aviation gasoline (avgas) once was distributed in several octane
     ranges and was color coded to permit pilots to check that they (their
     airplanes) were being supplied the proper fuel...red avgas was 80/87
     octane, 100/130 is green, and 115/145 octane was purple...(the first
     two still exist, but I am not aware of there being any remaining
     115/145 <military high test, so to speak>.

     Petroleum manufacturer/refiners have over the years added dyes to fuel
     as marketing ploys...witness the black dye use for Texaco Silver, and
     the argument that "clear" Amoco is better for engines than other, less
     "pure" fuels, etc.  None of the dyes in the gasoline makes any
     significant difference in terms of performance...and long term, dyes
     aren't really good for engines at all.

     Gas does age...and it turns to lacquer...which tho a combustable isn't
     great for carbs and filters and deposits in engines, etc.  I'm not
     sure that old "baad gaas" can actually be detected by the color, tho
     the smell of old gas is a dead give-away...and the residuals in a tank
     are pretty obvious, assuming one can see into the tank.

     I guess my point is, the presence of color may or may not be an
     indication of age...particularly if dyes are present.

     Cheers!

     PMcQ

     76 Spitfire
     73 TR-6