Seized seat bracket screws - TR3A

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Seized seat bracket screws - TR3A
From: "Art McEwen" <mcewenar@epo.gov.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 16:29:29 -0400
It all started when I got the carpet soaked, the one part that I couldn't
dry properly was under the drivers seat, since it was filthy anyway I
thought I'd take the seat out and remove the carpet to dry & clean it.  Of
course the round head screws that hold the slider to the floor pan are
seized in place and the heads are too big for WD40 to adequately soak down
to the thread, and because they are screws and not bolts I can't apply
enough pressure without the screwdriver slipping out of the slot (and
taking the skin on my knuckles with it).

My options as I see them are:

1) Drill out the screws from the top, and tap in new thread to the square
nuts under the floor.

2) Hacksaw off the nuts from the underside, and replace them with hex head
nuts & bolts.

3) Heat the nuts from the underside and hope they expand enough to let me
get the screws out before the heat ignites the WD40.

4) Dry the carpet as best I can with a space heater, ignore the fact that
it's filthy and fix it when the floor pan eventually rots away from the
trapped moisture

Right now I'm leaning towards # 4 unless anybody has any better ideas?

Art McEwen
mcewenar@epo.gov.on.ca