Re: Spitfire Stumblies<3.0.3.32.19970901233044.0099beb0@maine.rr.com>

To: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Stumblies<3.0.3.32.19970901233044.0099beb0@maine.rr.com>
From: RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 09:43:57 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
>My '77 Spit (with '69 dual SU 1300 engine) has developed a bit of a low rpm
>misfire. It is only from idle to around 2200 rpm when it is fully warmed
>up. I only really notice it when moving off from rest, as all further
>shifts never drop the revs that low. I have noticed that giving the
>throttle a "blip" before moving off greatly reduces the occurance of the
>stumble. Other possibly useful information - the car has Crane electronic
>ignition, a Mallory coil, and the distributor cap looks nearly new (PO
>claimed recent tuneup). I am using 10w30 engine oil in the carb dampers.
>Any and all pointers greatly appreciated.

I suffered a similiar probably in my 73 MkIV, it turned out to be one throttle
spindle bore had worn allowing air in, making one carb run weak on partial
throttle openings, it was OK with my foot burried in the carpet.  Just give the
end of the spindle a wiggle and see if there is any play in it.

Rich
England.