SB 42 update

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SB 42 update
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 11:37:46 -0700

---------------------- Forwarded by David J Stauffacher/TMG/CSC on 09/05/97
11:41 AM ---------------------------

              Senator.Kopp @ SEN.CA.GOV
              09/04/97 05:25 PM

                                 MEMORANDUM
        From:     Senator Quentin L. Kopp
        To:       Supporters of SB 42
        Subject:  Status of SB 42
          I am pleased to report to the many supporters of SB 42
        that the bill was approved by the Assembly Appropriations
        Committee on September 4, 1997 on a 20-1 vote.  The bill now
        proceeds to the Assembly Floor for a vote by the full Assembly;
        this will occur as early as Monday, September 8, 1997.
          The Assembly Appropriations Committee adopted amendments
        to SB 42 which would freeze the 25 model year and older smog
        check exemption for five years, at which time the exemption
        would become a "rolling" 30-year exemption.  In other words, the
        bill's provisions would move the current 1965 exemption year
        cutoff forward to 1973 and maintain that exemption year until
        2003.  The amendments were promulgated by the committee as
        changes necessary to move the bill to the Assembly Floor.
        Obviously, I prefer the previous version of the bill.
        Notwithstanding the amendments, passage of the bill represents a
        substantial victory for those backing the bill.
          I urge you to continue to convey your support to your
        respective representatives in the Assembly and inform Governor
        Wilson of your views.  We are one step closer, and a large one
        at that, to securing the relief embodied in SB 42.  Thank you
        again for all you have done and are doing.