Re: Trans Tunnel Insulation

To: Mark Stahlke <mstahlke@denver.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Trans Tunnel Insulation
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 08:11:42 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Mark Stahlke wrote:

>    I just wanted to share my bad experience with transmission tunnel
> insulation materials.
>
>    While browsing my local HomeDepot, I spied a roll of adhesive-backed foam &
> foil insulation for duct work. Just the thing for lining my new plastic trans
> tunnel, I thought. Not!
>    It didn't stick to the plastic very well and smelled really bad when it
> fell onto the hot exhaust pipe.
>
>    I highly recommend NOT using that type of insulation.
>     Next time I have the tunnel off, I'll have to remove the remains. Don't
> want anyone calling me a DPO!
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Mark, air conditioning duct insulation is not intended for auto tranny
insulations. First duct insul. will not stand up to the weather, second
the glue is for duct work. and will not stand up to heat. When the
correct material and glue is used these products work very well, as they
have for the past 35 years in these cars. Try it again I think you will
like the results, cars are a lot cooler and quieter running