RE: Dry dashpots

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Dry dashpots
From: Ljbtvr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 18:53:40 -0400 (EDT)
RE: Dry dashpots

The purpose of the oil in the dashpot is to retard the air piston's opening.
dry dashpot obviously will allow the piston to slam open quickly when the
throttle butterfly is opened.  In a racing application this is a good thing
and I
know some LBC racers who run this way.  Of course, it requires modified
carb needles to take advantage of the greater air flow.  With stock needles
all
you do is suddenly lean out the motor and maybe burn valves.  But then again,
maybe the fellow who recommended running dry already had his car set rich
and the added air flow was just putting the car back to the proper mixture.

Without all the other mods needed to take advantage of running dry I suggest
using some oil and checking it often.

Larry Bickel
ljbtvr@aol.com
Lancaster, PA
'68 GT6, my sleeping racer
'71 TVR 2500, my street car and sometimes racer
'85 Dodge Van
'83 Chevy S10
'80 Yamaha 650