Re: TR3A - Rear Hub

To: mmarr@execpc.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3A - Rear Hub
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 08:55:21 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-08 11:05:47 EDT, mmarr@execpc.com writes:

<< I'm trying to remove a rear hub on my 1960 TR3A.  The threads in one of
 the stud holes for the wire-wheel adapter attachment studs have
 stripped, because the stud was apparently loose in the hub and over time
 the working of the stud in the hole wore out the threads.  I have
 removed the castellated nut and am using a big puller to try to pop the
 hub off the half-shaft.  The end of the half shaft appears to be
 tapered, according to the drawing in my shop manual, and the hub appears
 to be keyed to the taper.  I have cranked hard on the puller, and have
 tapped on the end of the puller with everything ranging from a small
 ball-pein hammer to a BFH, but to no avail.  It won't budge.  Am I
 missing something?  This should come off with the appropriate amount of
 force, should it not?  Have any of you used heat on this hub?  I'm a
 little reluctant to do so, because there is an oil seal inside it, as
 far as I can tell from the drawing.  Any advice will be appreciated!

Removal of the shaft is probably not something you will be able to do
yourself.  Heat and pressure, lots of both, are very often required.  A few
years ago a local shop broke a 10 ton press trying to get one apart.  The
best luck I've had is with a local shop that rebuilds diffs on commercial
vehicles.  They have the equipment.  It's an extremely difficult job, but it
can be done.

Bob Paul
TS71101L STC62
TS45738L O