Blown head gasket

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Blown head gasket
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:38:42 -0400
Hi,

While running radiator flush yesterday preparing my TR3B for the trip to
Stowe this coming weekend, I must have dislodged the piece of rust that
kept my head gasket sealed. I now have the white froth for oil. Major
bummer.   :-(

If it were not for a client with a pesky Novell network, I might feel
comfortable I can get the head gasket replaced in time and still make
Stowe. Unfortunately, now I feel chances are slim I will have the '3B
ready for the 400+ mile round trip.

Anyway, I am going to give this the 'ol college try. Barring any
disasters, in theory I have the time I need to make this happen.

Reading up on the proceedure in the Bentley, I see they recommend a coat
of grease to the head gasket, or, I qoute, "should it be decided to use
a sealing compound, one of a non-setting type must be used for on future
occasions when the head is removed, the cylinder sleeves may be
disturbed because of their adherence to the gasket."

This engine sat with no coolant for something like 20 years, and I am
suspect of the top of the liners. I am hoping they are not pitted to the
point I will have trouble sealing. I think I have to use a sealing
compound. Any recommendations which one?

Any other words of wisdom?
--
 Henry Frye            E-mail - thefryes@iconn.net
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/