Lubricating a starter

To: drew@pixar.com
Subject: Lubricating a starter
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:05:01 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I seem to recall from my earlier days that oil and grease shouldn't be
>used to lube the twisted spline that the bendix slides on since they can
>pick up dirt and stuff and cause the bendix to stick. Instead, it was
>best to use a dry lubricant like powdered graphite. What are other
>people using these days? What about the teflon based sprays?

Drew,

I was into my tranny last winter.  Since the starter (long nose) was out
too, I sprayed the ring gear and pinion with an aerosol graphite impregnated
resin spray with I used in a prior job (on experimental, 75mm ammunition).
I didn't touch the twisted spline.  The started worked well and I didn't
have the time to fix anything I screwed up, so I didn't touch it, but I
can't imagine that a dry film lube wouldn't work great here too.

There are a variety of products on the market.  The key is that the one you
select, provides lubrication and that it dries completely as a film.  Make
sure to clean everything first with brake cleaner or equivalent, that
doesn't leave a film (like carb cleaner does).

Jack
1960 TR3A TS69032L