Re: Relay question (TR6)

To: ingate@shiseis.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Relay question (TR6)
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 15:16:07 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-18 14:38:51 EDT, ingate@shiseis.com writes:

> Note that my W1 and W2 terminals are reversed with respect to the
>  Handbook wiring diagram.  Is this OK to this on
>  a relay?

Shane:

Not a problem at all. The W1 and W2 terminals are completely interchangable,
as are the C1, C2, and C3 - PROVIDED!!!! ----you must swap ALL the wires on a
given terminal. For example, you could move the W/R wire from C1 to C2, if
you move BOTH the Brown wires to C1. If you just moved one, you would have
trouble.

The W1 and W2 terminals are to the relay coil, which is not polarity
sensitive. C1, C2, and C3 (sometimes C3 is replaced by C4) are internal
contacts. When the relay is de-energized, these contacts are isolated from
one another. When the relay is energized, the contacts are all shorted
together internally. It's like having three separate wires in your hand, and
then twisting them together.

The above only applies to Lucas relays. The coil windings are reversable on
'most' any relay, but the equivalent of the "C" terminals are not always
interchangable.

The popping in the distributor has me puzzled. I will ponder it, and see if I
can think of a solution and get back with you. In the meantime, I'm sure
someone else will give you the answer, and I am looking forward to seeing
what it is, myself.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74