need cap for tach cable drive gear on Spitfire.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: need cap for tach cable drive gear on Spitfire.
From: stuart l friedman <friedman@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 10:03:24 -0700
So the cover that pops on the part of the distributor that houses the drive
gear for the tach cable has been mysteriously removed by creatures in the
night.  Or maybe it just fell off.  It sounds like this must happen often
as I called Totaly Triumphs in San Jose, CA and they have them in stock for
$25!  That's enough to make me wonder if the cover to a gallon milk jug
will work OR send me scavenging at a wreckers.

Does anyone know:

Of a better/cheaper source for this part?

I have a 1970 MkIII spit.  On what other triumphs (non triumphs?) am I
likely to find a compatible part?

Finally, it looks like its going to be a nice weekend.  Can anyone think of
a problem with covering the hole with Al foil or saran wrap as a short term
fix?

Thanks,

stuart

******** note new area code ********
Stuart L Friedman                       email:  friedman@leland.stanford.edu
Center for Materials Research             lab:  650.723.3209
McCullough 250                         office:  650.723.4768 (room 226)
Stanford University                       fax:  650.725.5457
Stanford, CA  94305-4045