Re: Spittires

To: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Spittires
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:08:56 -0400 "Spittires" (Sep 22, 11:14pm)
> Subject: Spittires
> Continuing the recent tire thread, I was wondering what the "proper"
> tire size is for my 1973 Spitfire 1500 with stock steel wheels.
> Currently, it's wearing tired 165/80-13s that were installed by the QPO,
> and they look like they are about the right size.  I'm not worried about
> having *exactly* what came on it, but I would like to replace her old
> shoes with new ones that have approximately the correct tread
> circumference and a reasonable contact patch.  (BTW, I don't autocross,
> road race, or run stoplight drags, so ten-inch wide rubber bands weren't
> what I had in mind.)

Original tires would have been either 155SR13 in radials, or something
like 5.20-13 in bias ply. To maintain a similar rolling diameter, a
175/70R13 is very nearly the same as the 155. These will fit the 4.5
inch rims, with a nice increase in contact patch and very little
problem of fouling the body work. (only if your car sits really low).

> While I'm at it (and considering the non-race assumptions I outlined,
> above), are the alignment specs shown in the Haynes manual correct?  I
> don't have any reason to doubt Haynes & Co., but I figured it would be
> better to confirm them with those of you who have real world experience
> with such things before I fork over my $$ to the alignment shop.

Unfortunately, I don't have my shop manual here at work ;-) so I can't
help you with this one.

[snip]

>-- End of excerpt from schuyler grace

Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net
dmitchel@ford.com
'73 Spitfire 1500 (now celebrating 22 years of ownership)