Used cars [was Smog II, III,...]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Used cars [was Smog II, III,...]
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 97 11:54:11 PDT
 Thomas Howard wrote:
        > also there is some pressure to
        > rid the state of old cars so that new cars may be purchased

An idle statistic for you all to mull over; in 1996, 41 million
used cars changed ownership in the USA, constituting more than
3/4s of all car sales.  The net worth of the used-car sales was
$360 billion.  [Reference: Bureau of Consumer Affairs].

My hand-calculator tells me that the average used-car sale was $8780.

Clearly, if the state/federal Govt could cut into this market and
increase the sale of new cars, a LOT of money (through sales tax,
luxury tax, gas-guzzler tax, etc) is to be made.  Auto manufacturers
would be laughing all the way to the bank.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego