Re: GL-5 Gear oils...GL-4 to be used ?

To: Metwrench@aol.com
Subject: Re: GL-5 Gear oils...GL-4 to be used ?
From: William Davies <w.davies@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 20:11:45 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Metwrench@aol.com wrote:

> Is it true that my 80 Spitfire Transmission with OD should be filled with
> GL-4 rated gear oil, and NOT GL-5 like I thought ? Can anyone help me with
> this ?

John,
        My usual "I'm not a Chemist but my girlfriend is" disclaimer applies,
but from what I remember her telling me, the problem is with Sulphur
based compounds used in some (but not all) brands of GL5 gear oils. The
Sulphur is released under pressure, but it attacks yellow metals, of
which several components in the gearbox are made. I'll ask her to write
a more technical reply to this next time I see her.
        Incidentally, this problem also applies to the differential.
                Regards,
                        Bill.

--

    ^================^      This Message sent by:
=====U==============U=====  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
\________________________/  1966 Herald 1200 Convertible
 | |                  | |   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup
 |_|                  |_|   1975 Spitfire 1500