Re: frozen calipers

To: CAMHI ALAN <camhi@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: frozen calipers
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 09:12:45 -0400
Cc: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
CAMHI ALAN wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Just wanted to say thanks to all who gave me pointers on how to remove my
> hub cap(dust cap).  I tried the machine screw method to no avail.  I
> ended up taking channel lock plyers and gripping them around the cap
> while banging lightly with a hammer.  I dented and gouged the cap(who
> cares) and finally got it off.  thanks again for everyone's help..
>
> Next question......I have the calipers off and are inspecting them.
> Should I be able to move the pistons by hand.  They are in an open
> position but try as I may, I can not get them to slide.  I fear they are
> frozen..
>
> Is there a way to unfreeze them.  I do not have access to a grease gun an
> fitting or air compressor and fitting.   Before I bring them to apple or
> think about a rebuild, I would like to try all methods of freeing.  I
> have an acetelene torch.  Will this help?
>
> Any/all suggestions are welcome.  Thanks in advance..
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan Camhi
> '65 TR4

If your without a grease gun, you can try this method. I've done this on
non-sticking pistons but it may not work on sticking ones.
Part the two halves of the caliper (four bolts). Place one half in a
vice with the inside of the caliper facing up. Remove the retaining ring
at the base of the dust boot then remove the dust boot. Re-position the
caliper in the vise so that the top of the piston is just about a 1/16
to 1/8 inch below the top surface of the vice jaws. Using two flat screw
drivers, on opposite sides of the piston, pry the piston up by placing
the end of the screw driver in the lip that retains the dust boot at the
top of the piston. Use equal pressure on both sides. With a little care,
you should be able to pry up the piston with little damage to the
retaining lip which can be filed smooth latter when the piston is out.
Once the piston moves up, re-postion the caliper lower in the vise and
begin the next round of prying. You may also want place some kind of
spacer under the shaft of the screw driver between the top of the vice
jaw to increase leverage.
This method does not work as well as the grease gun method but then
again you won't have a great gob of grease to clean up either.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario