Re: More TR6 Head Questions

To: "Mark Stahlke" <mstahlke@denver.infi.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: More TR6 Head Questions
From: "Mark A. Erickson" <mlazye@northvalley.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 21:39:12 -0700
Mark,

Squirt a few shots of oil into the cylinders and recheck the compression.
If it goes up you have ring problems.

Or even better> remove the guts from an old sparkplug and braze in an air
fitting (or if the hose on your compression gauge permits you to hook it up
to an air compressor, use it). Remove rocker shaft (or lock each cylinder
up in the TDC Position, with valves closed). Apply some air pressure. Then
use your ear. Hissing out of the tailpipe, bad exhaust valve. Out the
carbs, bad intake valve. Out the block, bad rings. While your at, it remove
water pressure cap, hissing, bad head or gasket. Also checking at TDC and
BDC will check for taper in (or worn) cylinder. Sorry, this tool will not
check for worn bearings!

One tool will tell you more about your engine then a whole tool box of
other stuff. Valves, rings, head and gasket, and cylinders: your whole
upper engine. In a few hours you will know the condition of and what to
expect if you have to tear-down your engine.

Mark