FW: Re: TR-6 Thrust washers

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Re: TR-6 Thrust washers
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:09:59 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match "/<HTML>/i" at
line 37]

     Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 14:02:27 -0400
     From: "Ralph Jannelli" <rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net>
     Subject: Re: TR-6 Thrust washers

This is getting interesting!!! I'll add my two pence. The one and only
time I had someone other than myself work on my '72 Spitfire engine was
when the oil pressure relief valve unscrewed itself from the side of the
block and I lost oil pressure. This resulted in a spun bearing. I was
between houses in the middle of a move and had no place to work on the
car. So I had no choice and farmed out the engine work to a local shop.
To make a long story short they installed the thrust washers backwards
and inside of a month the engine was trash!! From this experience I can
attest to the fact that the oil grove goes toward the moving surface
i.e. the crank. The Triumph Spitfire workshop manual say " Slide the
thrust washers, white metal faces outward, between the rear bearing
housing housing and crankshaft thrust surfaces." It show as picture of
the oil groves facing away from each other so they contact the rotating
crank shaft surfaces.The oil I believe is fed out to the thrust washers
from the bearing housing, if the flat side is toward the crank there is
no way for the oil to lubricate the thrust washer/crank surface leading
to premature eject-ulation of the thurst washers.

Ralph Jannelli