Re: Source of stator tubes??

To: "Kinderlehrer's" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Source of stator tubes??
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 17:29:00 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Kinderlehrer's wrote:

> Hi all,

snip  <Bob needs a stator tube for his TR3A>

Bob,

Been there, was not real happy...

I got real lucky and found a stator tube at the Carlisle, PA mother of
all swap meets this spring. The guy I got mine from had several control
heads with wiring and the stator tubes all set up for sale, and earlier
that day somebody only wanted a control head and wiring. I got the tube
for $5.00. Sorry, I don't have his name.

But, this I can tell you. I believe all stator tubes are the same
length, only the slot cut in the control head end is longer for the
adjustable column. I am using a stator tube for a non-adjustable column
in my car with an adjustable column, I just lengthened the slot with my
hacksaw. If you find a stator tube with the long slot, I am sure it will
work fine with the fixed column.

As for making one up, I was not happy with the tubing I could find. You
will need 3/8 inch steel tubing, I found steel automotive gas line,
3/8ths OD. The wall thickness of the pipe bothered me, I thought it was
too thick, making it real tough to feed the control head wiring through.
But, when I got my used stator tube, my wires fed much easier that I
expected. I'll bet that gas line would have worked fine after all.

George Richardson already posted the dimensions. Good luck.
--
 Henry Frye            E-mail - thefryes@iconn.net
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/