Re: Seat reupholstery

To: "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>
Subject: Re: Seat reupholstery
From: Bollen <bollen@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 11:18:35 -0500
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, TR8 <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Atwell (Buff) Haines wrote:

> At 03:26 PM 10/29/97 -0800, Stu wrote:
> >A few months ago I redid my seats using a Moss kit for the TR8. The
> >foams were junk, and I added extra padding, but after a thousand miles
> >or so the seat cushion look about ready to split at the seams .
> >About how much should it cost for an upholstery shop to redo the seats
> >using the same covers?
> >Anyone have any reccommendations in the Delaware,South Eastern PA, south
> >NJ area? Thanks Listers. Stu
> >
> >Stu,
>
> I'm looking into that very question myself for my Spitfire, and I live in
> Northern NJ (Morris County).
>
> I checked with four local upholsterers so far.   Each told me to buy the
> foam kits, none wanted to do it themselves. Three would were willing to
> replace the fabric only on my seats (with a similar but not exact pattern)
> but I got prices for installing the kit pieces too.
>
> Prices ranged from $200 USD to $450 a pair to install both foams and seat
> kits.
> The high price was a restoration shop, not a boat/auto top place. Average
> was $250.
>
> It would save me about $100 on the job just to have the fabric portion sewn
> in.
>
> Email me directly if you want me to name names.   Or if any Listers in the
> area have experience with other shops, let me know that too.
>
> Atwell (Buff) Haines
> '79 Spitfire FM 96062
>
> Succasunna, NJ USA
> CarBuff@scooter.net

Buff, Ihad a similar experience. If you want a really good job, I think
Ragtops and Roadsters inPerkasie PA may be the best bet.I saw some of
their work at a car show a couple of weeks ago. They wouldn't give me a
price at the time because the upholstery guy wasn't there. I have a
feeling they will be pricey, but if you drive the car a lot it has to be
money well spent. My seat is really uncomfortable already, and if the
foams are not firm, it puts a lot of stress on the covers. The covers
from Moss are prettty junky, one started to split when I was pulling iot
on.