Re: TR's in Virginia

To: "Mr. Michael D. Fatsi" <mdfatsi@erols.com>
Subject: Re: TR's in Virginia
From: "Todd W. Sigety" <toddsig@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 10:48:48 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mr. Michael D. Fatsi wrote:

> Can Any TR ownners who live in Virginia give me a run down of the
> Virginia emission laws as they pertain to a 1974 TR-6? Does Virginia
> test for emissions? Waht are the parameters/exemption regs. etc. I
> currently live in New England, but believe thaaat I may be moving to
> Virginia next year. Thanks.
> -MF

Michael

I am still trying to figure out the new rules which become effective on
Dec 1, 1997.  As far as I know, the emmissions testing is only for the
Northern Va area, outside of Washington DC.

It looks as if all cars under a regular registration built since 1968
will have to be tested on a dynamometer.  1973 and newer cars will also
be subjected to a visual inspection for originality of emmission
equipment from the manufacturer.

Look at Http://www/deq.state.va.us/mobile/mobile.html for information
from the Virginia Department of Environmnetal Quality, or call
703-583-3900.

>From what I have learned, if the car is at least 20 years ole you can
register it as a "classic" or "antique". The car then does not require
an emmissions test or a VA State safety inspection.  You are of course
limited to how you drive the car with those special registrations.

I hope this helps.

Todd Sigety
1970 TR6
Alexandria, VA