Re: TR4 fuel economy

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 fuel economy
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 12:30:54 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 2 Nov 1997 MMDBR@aol.com wrote:

> I have noticed a few TR6 folks mention gas mileage in the high 20s range. Is
> this possible in a TR4? Seems the best I get is about 22, and that if I
> rarely "get on it". I've come to accept this, as after all, I'm really in it
> to DRIVE it. Any thoughts?

My TR4 gets 18 - 22 MPG in daily driving, but it has the optional 4.1:1
rear axle instead of the standard 3.7:1 so I would expect it to get lower
than normal gas mileage around town.  I might do better if I was a bit
less lead-footed.  On long highway trips with overdrive engaged it does a
bit better.

I don't know what gas mileage a TR6 should get.  It probably gets
progressively worse from early TR6 to late TR6 because of increasingly
restrictive anti-smog equipment.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us