RE: Pertronix perplexia

To: Chris Lillja <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>, list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Pertronix perplexia
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 20:24:32 -0500
Chris Lillja  writes:

>The switching transistor in the Pertronix is designed to operate with
>a coil with a primary impedance of a certain range. If the coil's
>impedance is too low, too much current flows through the switching
>transistor exceeding its heat dissipation rating....result: one
>cooked transistor... one dead Pertronix.....

>I learned this from converting my Norton to Boyer EI... 'ya gotta use
>the right coils or the thing just gets too hot and dies......

>This was also discussed in the Pertronix documentation when I
>intalled it on my 4A....

>"Still ride in triumph over all mischance..." - Shakespeare

>Chris Lillja
>TR4A
>Norton Commando
>Spit MKIV

Cheap design.  Any designer who isn't hamstrung by the accounting
department would include a current limiting circuit to shut the
transistor off if the current gets too high.  This protects against
misapplication and errant short circuits.  I traced out a Japanese
unit once that included current sense and associated circuitry to
shut down the unit.  If you are like me (that's a scary thought)
you would rather have the ignition system resume operation after
the problem is fixed than to have to replace the ignition system
too.  I guess that is the price you pay for a unit that fits under
the distributor cap.

"95 was the route you was on, not the speed limit sign" Jim Croche

Dave Massey
TR6 (2@)
TR7