rough idle on 63 spit

To: spit <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: rough idle on 63 spit
From: lewis mckillop <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 17:33:18 -0800
    Hello again,
Well, i am making progress, but have run into another problem. My 63
spit seems to idle a little rough. Runs alright from 1500rpm on up. I
have a air flow gauge that i used to balance the two carbs. When i did
the idle went up to about 1500 rpms. I retarded the timing (by turning
the distributor) and when i did the idle dropped down but got a little
rough. This car has new coil, points, condenser, plugs, wires, cap, and
rotor. It runs down the road fairly well and has plenty of power (for an
1147).
    How many adjustments are there on these SU's anyway?
    One other thing, I tried to time the motor but there isn't any marks
on the crank pully. There is a little metal tab that comes to a point
just above the crank pully but the pully itself is bare. Can i time this
motor with a timing light or is this useless without those marks?
thanks once again,
Lew 63 and 67 spits