Re: Which front suspension bushing kit?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Which front suspension bushing kit?
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 10:37:10 EST
Cc: Cliff Hansen <chansen@hq.cnsl.spear.navy.mil>
> As a start, I want to order a complete re-busing kit.
> I know I need to rebush both upper and lower A-arms.
> After dis-assembly, I'll see what other parts I
> need.

Cliff,

Do yourself a favor and use the TR6 front suspension pivots and the
TRF backing plates. This will make sure your wheels will stay on.
When I took apart my front suspension the standard pivot brackets
were SCARY....one 3/8 sae stud holding the pivot to the
frame (one was nice and bent)....wouldn't you really rather have two?
$16-$20 each -- all you have to do is drill a hole for the second
stud -- use the plates below as a template....

The backing plates fit inside the frame brackets and effectively
double the thickness of frame in this area.... $10 each...some folks
will say weld 'em... I say don't bother... hey --- they're already
drilled for the two stud TR6 pivots...what a deal!

TRF sells "reinforcement" plates to weld to the frame -- these were
developed for the 6 cylider cars because the steering rack mounts
(which brace the front frame brackets in a 4A) were moved forward to
accomadate the longer engine...Kas Kastner didn't use 'em on his
racing 4A, so I don't either... your call....(he does suggest the two
bolt pivot brackets and maybe the backing plates, he even gives
instructions on how to modify the stock 4A pivots with a second
bolt)...

> I've seen a number of ads for polyurethane bush kits.
> I'm inclined to use these instead of stock rubber for
> their longer life.

I used all stock bits and I'm not happy with the upper inner A arms
-- I'm replaceing these with the Moss -- don't think I need to do
lower inners.... I'm doing the rears with the Moss kit too....really
only because Moss is cheaper...and they had 'em in stock...

> On a related issue, the inner tie rod ends have a lot
> of slop (0.10")  Moss says they're out of stock and don't
> know when they'll have any more.  Looking at the pubs,
> it appears that these items can be rebuilt by replacing
> shims and washers.  Anyone done this?  Should I try it or
> just start hunting for replacement?

Let me know how this goes.... I know TRF offers rebuilt units as well
as complete rebuilt steering racks....

Hope this helps....

"Still ride in triumph over all mischance..." - Shakespeare

Chris Lillja
TR4A
Norton Commando
Spit MKIV