re: Creating a Monster (was: route 66 trip)

To: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>, list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: re: Creating a Monster (was: route 66 trip)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 01:04:28 -0500
schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net> wrote:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I've been following the Route 66 thread, and even though I'm pretty sure
the trip will be a near impossibility for me, it got me wondering...

In recent history, has anyone considered/tried organizing an "LBC Road
Trip Around North America?"  Before you hit the "Delete" button, I'm not
talking about taking a 10,000 mile trip in Malibu Barbie's Dream Car
(I'm an optimist, not a fool).  Rather, I was thinking that a concerted
effort, on the parts of LBC-related organizations, could result in a
series of road trips and other events that progress around the continent
over a year-long period, following the sun and seasonal changes and
allowing the most participants possible.

The Route 66 trip would be one great leg of this journey, as would
following the leaves from Maine to Georgia or chasing spring from SoCal
to Alaska.  And along the way, the standard rallies, autocrosses, tours,
and shows, as well as community outreach projects, such as working on a
Habitat house or  beautifying a strip of highway.  Not only would
everyone have a chance to take part, but also, we could get widespread
publicity for our hobby and give back a little more to our communities.

Because most of our events already coincide with top-down weather, all
that is required is an organized effort to link events and publicize the
connections.  Local clubs or corporate sponsors would put together
individual events and iron out conflicts, while the national
organizations serve as a communications conduit and instigator for the
whole process.  Already, the hard parts are being done every week as
clubs conduct local events, and we need only to add a little more
coordination and imagination to the mix to bring off a truly continental
event.

Any takers?

 -Schuyler

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My thoughts exactly.  Route 66 is just one of many historic and now
bypassed hyhgways on the continent.  How about the Natchez Trace?
Highway 1 on the west coast?  The Cumberland Gap?  The shield region
in Canada?

And how closely can one follow the continental divide?

One trip I have wanted to do for years is follow the path of the
Lewis and Clark Expedition (in part because it started here in St.
Louis).

I'm sure every one on the list can think of a drive in his/her region
with scenic or historic significance.  And the Limey's can recreate the
London to Brighton run! (When I say "Limey" I only mean it in an
affectionate way.)  (When I say "affectionate" I only mean it in the
Platonic sense).

To link these events there must be a token passed from group to group
such that this token participates in all of the events.  A friend of
mine suggested a gold plated spark plug.  I suggested that someone
(where are you Greg?) park his/her car over a piece of cardboard and
let it drip onto the cardboard.  Then this oil puddle can be passed
between the groups!

Dave (now we have a real brain drizzle going) Massey
St. Louis, MO USA