TR6 overdrive

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 overdrive
From: esp@hypermax.net.au (O'Beirne, Terry)
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 08:49:28 +1000
Hi all    RE    Overdrive
Phil Smith wrote:
Has anyone on the list converted their early A type transmission to
overdrive? Is it possible to purchase all the parts needed through the
major parts suppliers. Any suggestions,sources?

*******

The conversion of a TR6 to A type requires these major parts;
o/d unit, mainshaft, gearbox to o/d adaptor plate, isolation and
activation switches.

This conversion is not for the feint of heart as the dismantling of the
box is complex if it is to be done correctly.

In terms of buying an A type  "kit", there are 2 big issues
1)which input shaft do you have? There were actually 2 different sizes
and a different mainshaft shaft was fitted to each.
2)brass or steel mainshaft bushes?. If your gearbox has steel bushes on
2nd & 3rd, you will have trouble finding an A type mainshaft as these
mostly were for the Stag & Police Special 2500 Saloons.

Because any laycock o/d unit cannot tolerate operation in reverse, it is
critical you fit the isolation switches to the selector cover on the
gearbox. The TR2-3 manual gives all dimensions etc, but I can provide
details if required. Most selector rods had the notches to suit, but I
recall cars before about 1970 did not and you have to grind them into
the shaft.

Given all above, unless you dismantle your box first and know exactly
what you have, my suggestion best bet is find a complete box with o/d
and use it. if you want to pursue a kit, email me direct.

If Phil or anyone else wants more help I can email a technical article I
wrote for TSOA some years ago on TR o'drive fitment.

Terry O'Beirne.   (Local o/d fix-it person, TR5 owner)
esp@hypermax.net.au