Re: 63 spit dash support?

To: lewis mckillop <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: 63 spit dash support?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 21:34:38 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spit <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, lewis mckillop wrote:

>     Hello again,
> I found two padded metal bars in the trunk of my spit. One has the
> odometer trip reset cable still attached to it. It looks like these go
> under the dash on each side (horizontally). I have never heard these
> baces? mentioned befor. Does anyone have any idea what i am talking
> about.....(wife is laughing wildly now)....
> thanks once agian,
> Lew 63 and 67 spit

These sound as if they might be part of the "cubby boxes" on each side of
the dash. The padded part acts as also as a small bit of a lip to retain
items within the cubby and also as protection for knees and such bumping
them.

These cubby boxes don't exactly provide secure storage (although there
was, at one time, an aftermarket lockable lid available at least for the
passenger side cubby), but it's about as close as you'll get to storage
areas inside the car. Sadly, on the Spitfire the dash brace that
straddles the gearbox cover and provides space for the radion also
perfectly hides the little "tray" moulded into the top of the gearbox
cover: reason #468 to buy and enjoy a Herald instead of those silly,
cramped Spitfires! :-)

--Andy