Re: Spitfire Steering Wheels

To: msecres@ibm.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Steering Wheels
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 10:08:33 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
msecres@ibm.net wrote:

> All right, I'm pretty much fed up now.
>
> A Spitfire is plenty 'o fun, except when you have the 14 inch '74 stock
>steering wheel
> under which to fit your damn gangly legs (note correct prepositional usage).
>
> A smaller one sure would make life easier with which to deal.
>
> What are my options?  Does anyone make a smaller steering wheel which bolts
>up WITHOUT
> installing a new adaptor (so as to retain the original horn assembly?)  Also,
>didn't
> Spitfires come fitted with a smaller wheel in later years, circa 1976?  Will
>a later
> stock wheel bolt up to my current hub?
>
> It's the weekend.  I have questions.
>
> --
> Martin Secrest
> 74 Spitfire
> 73 GT6
Martin,
I put a 75 Spit wheel on my 63, and a 70 GT6 wheel on my son's '66.
BTW, the Two wheels mentioned above look almost identical, but the GT6
wheel for some reason is about 1 inch larger.  Go figure!

With that said, I just checked Vickie Brit catalog and their replacement
wheels are listed separately between the 62-77 and 78-80 years. So I
guess you cannot interchange with later ones.  The VB wheels are 14" in
diameter.  I haven't measured mine, but that sounds smaller than the
Stock one I have.  They come with a Triumph logo center cap.

Hope that helps,

Joe Curry   '63 Spit