Re: Fwd: warning (fwd) (fwd)

To: "Bruce T. Clough" <cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil>
Subject: Re: Fwd: warning (fwd) (fwd)
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 09:06:04 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bruce T. Clough wrote:

> I do believe that these are hoaxes that have been
> debunked here before.  Would someone please post
> the obligatory web sites that one can wander to in
> order to check out rumors before they're spread.

My personal favorite is the CIAC (Computer Incident
Advisory Capability) at the US Department of Energy.  In
addition to all the fixes and warnings for *real*
security vulnerabilities (ususally bugs in operating
system software) they have pages on virus hoaxes and
on Internet chain letters:

  http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html
  http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACChainLetters.html

The pages also give some guidelines on how to recognize
a "new hoax" that hasn't been listed on their page yet.
However, they are really good about quickly listing new
hoaxes on their pages.

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org
Computer Security Professional