[Top] [All Lists]

TR6 Overdrive Conversions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Overdrive Conversions
From: (Chuck Poulin)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 09:56:39 -0500
TR6 transmissions can be converted to either A or J type with the
replacement of the mainshaft, along with all the adapters and various
bits and pieces.

What you have to be careful of is what year car you have.  The rear
transmission mounts, welded to the frame, are different.  I have been
told that if you have an A type frame, you can install a J type OD by
reversing the rear transmission mount. However, to put an A type OD in a
J type car, the transmission mounts need to be cut out and new ones
welded in.

I am in the process of replacing my 74 frame.  The one that I found,
(for a very good price), is an early frame.  I cut off the early
transmission mounts, cut a set of late mounts off a junk frame, and will
weld them to the replacement frame, along with reinforcing the problem
areas.  As a note, I don't think the transmission mounts welded to the
frame are available new.
--   //\
 ===================================((  )))===|===|===|===|===|
 Cuckoo's Nest                    ((\    (o.__                 (\>>>        (9              (<<<<   \___/.~~;  
 65 Galaxies, TR6s             (\>>>>>   /     ~   and critters
 =============================(\<<<<<   /======================

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • TR6 Overdrive Conversions, Chuck Poulin <=