TR 6 motorimprovements

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR 6 motorimprovements
From: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (Gerhard Wiederholl)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 15:45:50 +0200
I have a 1969 carb TR 6, which was imported from South Carolina. In the near
future the motor will need an overhaul ( very low oil pressure). By doing this,
I consider improving the motor. The question is:

What is the best motor-setup for a 1969 US-TR 6, if emission control laws and
fuel injection systems can be neglected ?

The question is not how to build a racing  motor. Just what are the best
adjustments (Ignition, compressin etc) and what are the best fittings to the
motor (are SU carbs a good idea ?.. , what exhaust type is best ?, is an other
camshaft needed ? etc.) to make it as powerfull and fuelefficient as it could
be
for normal (fast) road use ?

I guess a 2.5 L TR 6 motor must be good for at least 130 bhp without polishing
inletports, weber conversions or other expensive tuning.

Has anyone an idea or even made good or bad experiences ?

Best regards

Gerhard Wiederholl, Germany