TR6 GM HEI Distrubutor Conversion

To: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 GM HEI Distrubutor Conversion
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 23:22:34 +0000
I recently stumbled onto an interesting distibutor set up for the TR6 in
the green Roadster Factory TR6 parts manual on page 511. Listed under #1
is a distributor kit that is a modified GM HEI distrubutor for the six
cylinder engine. The obvious advantage of this conversion, although non
stock, is its electronic, and the higher than normal spark plug voltages
available.

The question is does anyone out there have any experience with this
conversion? The experts at TRF claim ignorance and claim they never sold
one.

It looks too easy to do and I have two versions of the HEI distributor.
One is for the V6 and it's housing is too large and the dist is too
short. The inline six distributor is a good fit the housing matches up
to the TR6 dist. housing but the large dist cap and aluminum housing
crashes into the valve cover and gasket rail on the head. Its fairly
obvious that the distributor has to grow in height at least by one inch.

Any insight and experience with  this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Glenn Franco

71&74 TR6's and a couple 70 parts cars.