Re: MkI taillights

To: lewis mckillop <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: MkI taillights
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 09:24:18 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, lewis mckillop wrote:

>     To all,
> My turn signals are round, red, and held down by two screws. My
> taillights are L549's (i have three of them). I ordered one because two
> of the three i have have little cracks in them. The lense i received
> looked like it was for a MkIV?...i don't have the number from it as i
> have already returned it.

Ok, simple enough. You have TR3 (or MGA, or Morris Minor, or Jaguar XK,
or... -- you get the picture. This was a very popular "proprietary lamp
unit on a number of LBCs) stop-tail lamps on your Spitfire. They don't
exactly bolt on (one usually needs to drill extra holes to mount them),
but they fit fairly nicely and, in fact, these lamps were used on most of
the "works" racing and rallye Spitfires. In addition, the old TSOA
(Triumph Sports Owners Association) Handbook used to "recommend"  these
lamps on Spitfires. One slight advantage of them is that they are ever so
slightly more likely to remain in place, since they have two screws to
hold them down. The "normal" Spitfire lamp has one screw at the top and a
locating tab on the bottom -- perhaps not Lucas's sturdiest design.

--Andy