Disk Pad Shim Kit

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Disk Pad Shim Kit
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 09:53:43 -0800
Finally getting around to replace the anti-squeal disc pad shims on
my '70 TR6. Had bought the Lucas kit about 8 months ago. Procedure looks
pretty straight forward in both the shop manual and the Haynes manual.

My question to the list is that the kit installation instructions
indicate "Be sure the back of the disc pad is clean and free of
corrosion, dirt and oil when installing a peel and stick shim."
The 4 shims come with a rubber coating which I can find no way
of "peeling" them. What am I missing? Are they installed with the
rubber coating? Do I have a bad batch of shims?  The old shims,
altough I have not removed, appear to be metal with no rubber
coating (the one shim is broken a partially protruding from the
pad).

Anything else I need to pay special attention to when replacing the
shims? I know the pads are fine since the car was inspected in Sept.

Thanks

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6