Re: Spitfire's colors

To: "Johnny Storm: International racing car driver" <hiu06f@bangor.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Spitfire's colors
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 17:32:18 -0800
Cc: NICOLAS FOURNIER <113405.3643@compuserve.com>, Liste Triumph <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Johnny Storm: International racing car driver wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, NICOLAS FOURNIER wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Does anyone know the proportion of each color of the Spitfires when they
> > were sold as new cars ?
> > I wonder if 50% or more where red...
> >

>    Nope but 99% are restored that way.......
>
> Johnny
> '77 spit RED (was yellow NOT my doing!!)

Johnny,
Not exactly right! But very good guess.

According to the limited data I have collected so far. the breakdown
goes like this:

RED(all types)      32.37%
Blues (all types)   16.76%
Greens (all types)  16.18%
White (all types)    9.83%
Maroon/Purple etc    8.09%
Yellow (all types)   6.94%
Browns (all Types)   5.78%
Black                1.73%
Silver & Gray        1.16%
Orange               1.16%

These are current colors of vehicles as reported.
Data is far from complete, but covers a wide variety of input.
Assuming that it is a represenative cross section of the remaing Spits,
one might draw ones own conclusions.  If the Purples, magentas and
burgandy's were mixed with the reds, a much higher overall percentage
would be reached.

I am going to retabulate the results periodically to see how the mix
changes.

Regards,
Joe Curry