Re: spit taillights

To: Rob L Williams <rlwillia@sccm.cc.ne.us>
Subject: Re: spit taillights
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 22:48:02 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Rob L Williams wrote:

> At last, some information I can use.  My son inherited my Dad's Spitfire, a
> real early Mark I (FC 0526L) and since he's only 14 I get to be the chief
> mechanic.  I've noticed at Nebraska Triumph Driver's Shows that all the
> other Spits have a taillight lens that is not the same as our car has.
> I've also noticed that the lens on our Spit is exactly the same as lenses
> on all the MGA's.  I was kind of worried because Dad at one time had 2
> MGA's and thought he might have done a little "modification" using some of
> the parts that he had one hand after my brother rolled one of the MGA's.
> So Andy Mace is saying that is did happen that some Spits had the "generic"
> (MGA) taillight and lenses?  Any idea how many of how many cars were thusly
> equipped?

At some risk (and with only some evidence to support the statement), I
would say that virtually all production "Mk. 1" Spitfire 4 models were
equipped with the familiar Spitfire taillamp. In fact, that is what the
spare parts catalogue drawing depicts. But that is not to say that some
early cars might well have been fitted with the L549 TR3, MGA, etc. Lucas
taillamp assembly. Again, too, given the fragility of the "correct"
lens/lamp and the recommendation in the old TSOA Handbook, it is
certainly possible that any number of early cars could have been
retrofitted with the then (and still) more common, easy-to-find L559 lamp
and lens. And Odd Hedberg is correct in noting that the original
prototype did indeed sport the L549 lamp, and it certainly does suit the car.

My '64 is safely in the barn for the winter, with about 100' of distance
and about 8" of snow separating me from it at the moment. However, I'm
pretty sure that it is a blind-nut/screw arrangement that retains the
normal Spitfire lamp base to the body. And the spacing of those blind
nuts is such that the L549 lamp base cannot utilize those mounts. One
either drills new holes in the body and fastens the base with sheet metal
screws or redrills the lamp base (I'm not sure that's even practical).
But again, I can't look at the car right now to be sure of this.

> For Joe Curry's info, the car is a Spitfire Mark I  FC0526L Spa White and
> located in Carleton, Nebraska.  It runs well but suffers from some body and
> floorboard rusting so we are trying to get it back into beautiful shape.
> We have the British Motor Heritage Production Certificate with the date of
> assembly if anyone needs that info.

I'm jealous of your having such an early car! :-) And I'm really glad to
hear it's in good hands and on its way back to good health. Also, the
"intergenerational" family connection must make it even more special to
you and your son. BTW, on what date WAS it assembled, and what color is
the interior? Just curious....

--Andy