Re: Rear Hub Bearings

To: Geoffrey Garrod <ggarr@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Hub Bearings
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 08:51:25 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
"I have 1972 TR-6 with 85,000 miles. Although my rear hub bearing are not
giving any trouble, I thought it may be time for periodic lubrication.
The Bently or Haynes workshop manuals do not show these bearings as an
item that requires periodic lubrication or maintenance and in fact
portrays their disassembly and service as a complicated and tricky bit
of service.  Should I be concerned about these bearings or just let them
ride?"

Geoff:
I have never heard of any required service for the hub bearings.
Considering the time and expense involved, I'd wait until they get noisy
and have them rebuilt at that time. My car has 107K on it and I'm quite
sure the bearings are the original, so you have a way to go with yours.

Phil Barnes
peb3@cornell.edu
'71 TR6  CC61193L (20 year owner)