Re: 3 Questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 3 Questions
From: Dave Fain <KC3565L@sprintmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 22:46:22 -0700
Cc: coliver@sprintmail.com
Chris Oliver pondered:
>3.  Anyone have a good way of installing the dust boots on the pedals,
>or better yet is there a pedal box available to seal off that area like
>a MG?

The first time I tried to reinstall the ones on my GT6, I spent
about 2 hours in a contorted position under the dash trying
to coax them into place with an assortment of tools.  Once you
get the hang of it, it's fairly painless.

Slip the boot over the master cylinder and connect the
linkage.  Next, squeeze the sides and push the boot down
and backwards so that the groove engages the edge of the
opening towards the rear of the car.  You probably won't
be able to actually see this from outside the car because
it's hidden by the master cylinder, but you can check
from underneath the dash.  Again squeeze the sides and
work the groove in the front of the boot over the front
edge of the opening with a screwdriver.  Depending
on how old the boot is, the sides may spring into place.
To make sure it's seated, use a long wide-bladed screwdriver
to reach up from underneath inside the car.  Place the blade
between the boot and the brake or clutch lever and twist
gently.  The boot should pop into place.  It takes a little
practice, but once you get the knack, they go back on
fairly quickly.

If you have delusions that this will stop water from
dripping in your shoes, forget it.  At best, it will
slow it down considerably.  If you wanted dry feet,
you would have bought a Buick.
Dave