rivets

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: rivets
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 14:51:21 -0700
I need to remove some rivets which attach a metal bracket to the frame
of my 76 TR6 (the two brackets which attach the brake and fuel lines to
the frame underneath the car).

So given that the frame is a closed section and the "back" side of the
rivets I need to remove is not accessible, is there a way of extracting
the old rivets rather than drilling/filing/grinding the exposed part and
letting the back part fall into the box section of the frame? Of course
without enlarging the hole the rivets are in. About the only way I can
think of is to hope there is a drain hole in the frame nearby to which I
can coax the broken rivet with a magnet but this seems like a hit and
miss approach.

I have never worked with rivets before and perhaps the answer to this is
obvious but it does escape me at this time. Help someone. I would prefer
to not have the old rivets bouncing around in my frame for ever and ever
if I can help it.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada