More heresy....

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More heresy....
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 21:05:25 -0800
Hmmm, I'm sure the purists will think this heretical, but after the
second Lucas alternator died in five months (first, on the GT6 when I
bought it, seized six weeks after car purchase, second, a rebuilt unit
purchased in Ft. Worth in July with Richard Ceraldi's help, puked after
only 3-1/2 months), I decided to install a Delco.

The difference is noticeable. Strong lighting, even at an engine speed
of 4-500 rpm, and even after a couple of hours of hard running at night
with high beams on, the Delco is at least 50 deg. F cooler than the
previous Lucas unit, even though it's rated at 60A, instead of the stock
28A. On my first trip down to the far southern part of NM about three
weeks ago, I stalled the engine taking off from a stop light after three
hours running--wouldn't start. (I thought the starter had been
overheated from the headers). Didn't realize that the alternator was on
the way out. Same trip yesterday with the Delco, and the car started
without hesitation, always.

I realize there are lots of folks out there who want to keep the cars
pristine--I understand that desire. But for the daily drivers, there has
to be the admission that there is _some_ better technology out there....
<g> Even Andy Mace admits that a spin-on oil filter adapter is
_grudgingly_ <g> a worthwhile addition to the cars. Why not an
alternator, as well? <big grin> Keep in mind that my last rebuilt Lucas
alternator cost $73, and the Delco is $26.99, and from AutoZone, it has
a lifetime warranty. And, even without a core, it cost only $42.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....