starter followup and gearbox q???

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: starter followup and gearbox q???
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 12:37:05 -0700
Thanks again to all who assured me my starter was still fine after the
confusion I had regarding what the commutator is. I am happy to report
the starter is not only fine, but also seems to have much more "punch"
after the cleaning of the contacts. But now on to my current question...

I reinstalled my gearbox this weekend (the o/d still doesn't work -
#$%@!!!).

The drive shaft and diff are out of the car while my diff mounts get
repaired. One thing I noticed is that while in neutral with the engine
running, the output flange on the gearbox spins. I can stop the spinning
with my hand grabbing the flange but when I release the flange, it
starts spinning again. If I increase the rpm's, the spinning will get
faster and a with little more torque.

Is this normal? (I think that the drive shaft would normally prevent the
spinning of the output shaft if the driveshaft was there). (I know very
little about the internals of a gearbox and how it works so perhaps this
behavior is perfectly normal - the gearbox works just fine when the car
is driven - other than the o/d of course).

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada