Re: Mk3 spitfire suspension upgrade

To: Peter Lucas <pllj@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Mk3 spitfire suspension upgrade
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 15:46:21 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>, timm01@cs.soaks.kent.sch.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Peter Lucas wrote:

>       First-          you need a later model spring.
>       Second-         (2) new half shafts. The later model Spits are a total
>                               of 1" wider.

Note that the later axles (1" longer each; total increase in track 2")
are NOT necessary. Nice, but not necessary.

>       Third-          Are you going to press those things yourself?
>                               (Look up old thread $$$)

What do you need to press, unless you're looking into a complete rebuild
of each rear axle assembly? It's usually easier to buy complete, longer
units (if that's the route you wish to go) and install them complete.

>       Fourth-         You will most likely run into clearance problems.
>                               The spring sits a little lower and the axles
>stand
>                               a little wider. Result-tires hit fenders.

See above comments.

> If your willing to go through all that work, than you should replace
> your shocks, diff mounts, bushings and u-joints as well. This ='s $$$
> It is, however, the route I took on my '64 restoration and I didn't
> notice much of a difference in handeling. A bit less roll but I think
> that an anti roll bar would have given about the same increase in
> performance.

I think that the benefits of the later swing-spring suspension (which
really must be paired with the fatter front anti-roll bar) come mostly "at
the limit"; the swing-spring greatly lessens the tendency of the rear
wheels to "jack" under the car. In more "normal" driving, I wouldn't
expect to notice much of a difference between suspension types.
Meanwhile, it's probably good to replace all those items you mentioned
regardless. There's always a good chance that you'll have been the first
ever to do this!

> If I had to do it over again, I would have replaced the
> shocks with a set of Konis, replaced the mounts, installed urathane
> bushings, new u-joints and an Addco 5/8" anti roll bar. Good tires can
> also make a big difference. Oh yea- If you need to replace your leaf
> spring, I would suggest TRF over Vic Brit. Good luck!

The "classic" option is to simply dearch the original spring somewhat.
Relatively cheap, and makes quite a difference. Upgraded shocks (Koni or
Spax) also are worthwhile if you're serious about driving. And, there's
always those elusive camber compensators! ;-)

--Andy