Re: Door towels WAS: Getting in gear

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Door towels WAS: Getting in gear
From: "Andrew Lindeman" <Dr_Faustus@cyber-west.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:47:10 -0700
>If the felt fell off, the window would have gone down too far and would
>clunk around.   Maybe the towels were to replace the felt?    If the felt
>is missing, I'm sure a thick piece of rubber glued to the stop (which is
>adjustable up and down) would serve the same purpose.
>
>I just cleaned and greased everything inside the doors on my '79 Spit.  One
>side had loose regulator hardware, and the door handle mechanisms were
>gasketless and gummy.   Replaced the inner and outer waist seals while I
>was at it. It was all "a lot of fun".
>

>Atwell (Buff) Haines
>'79 Spitfire FM96062
Nope everything was tight and in place.  And I noticed no rattling.  The
best thing I can think is they were used to soak up some water in the
bottom.  This car is surprisingly rust free.  It spent most it's life in
Chicago and Park City, Utah.  Not exactly rust free states.  Nearly
everything is rust proofed.  Why they didn't paint the bottoms of the doors
to matxh the flat black strip of rust proofing paint is beyond me.  I'll
just finish the job so it looks nice.  That's next weeks project.  Then all
I'll need it the IL DMV (Or secretary of state over there) to send me the
new title.  Then maybe I can drive it legally!  I had to talk my way out of
a ticket today.  He let me go because I had my seat belt on and was insured.

Andy L.
1970 Spitfire
1996 VW Jetta (For Sale!)