Pertronix Redux II

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Pertronix Redux II
From: Dean Paige <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 16:50:03 -0800
Forgive if this already got through. My server seems to have had a
problem today.

You'll remember that about a month ago the Lucas alternator on my TR-6
began to show sings of impending failure. On the way home to replace it
with a newly purchased Bosch, the Pertronix ignition started acting up
too so I put the points back in. Well I never got around to doing further
trouble shooting but did manage to get the new alternator in.

I next spent a couple of weeks on the Carribbean coast of Mexico (Cancun,
Akumal, Tulum). What A great vacation. Crystal clear water 80 degrees,
the second longest barrier reef in the world, unbelievable diving and
snorkeling not only on the reef but also in Cenotes (blue holes) caves
leading from as far as 17 miles inland to the sea. Also Mayan ruins at
every turn. A highly recommended destination for you tropics lovers.

At any rate had to do some clean up on the TR this weekend. Didn't find
all the leaks prior to the rains and the new carpeting, pads etc were
soaked. Working on the leaks, but I have to wait til it rains again to
see how well I did. Looks like most were from blocked drainage on the
scuppers that drain the space between the hood and body sending cascades
into the engine compartment down the fire wall and into any open hole,
(by the way, anybody know where to get the grommet that fits the firewall
opening for the wiring harness, both Moss and VB supply one that is not
big enough (od)... have it silicone sealed for the moment. Carpets will
stay out till I am assured that I won't have to remove them again.

Sorry, got carried away. So when I was through I decided to try the
Pertronix again.. hope springs eternal. This time it held though. So I am
once again ignited electronically. Looks like (as replys to my previous
post pointed out) the voltage drop caused by the malfunctioning
alternator caused a problem with the Pertronix. It is now fully
functioning. And I want to reiterate the electronic ignition results in
major improvements in performance and acceleration and really smoothes
out the engine... the difference is astounding. Now back to the leaks.

Deano